World’s largest forest-The Amazon Rainforest grows in the tropical basin of the Amazon River. . The majority of the forest is contained within Brazil, with 60% of the Rainforest, followed by Peru with 13%, and Colombia with 10%, while Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana have just a small amount of Rainforest.
The forest was formed 55million years ago, in the period of Eocene.
It is not only the world’s largest forest in the world- it is often called the “Lifeline of the world”. More than half of the world’s oxygen is produced in the Amazon Rainforest. Rainforest plays an important role in the health of our global environment by converting carbon dioxide into oxygen.
The Amazon River:- the Amazon river is the lifeline of the Amazon rainforest. The basin of Amazon Rainforest is drained by the Amazon River, the world’s largest river in terms of discharge, and recently BBC announced it the longest river in the world as well. This river flows through the centre of the rainforest. It has 1100 tributaries. The main mode of transportation throughout the area is by boat. The Amazon River carries massive amount of silt of runoff from the rainforest floor. Amount of silt deposited at the mouth of the Amazon River has created the largest river island in the world-Marajo Island.
Destruction of Rainforest: – the people of industrial area see forest as a free source of material or as needless woods, occupying land and getting raw material. But let me remind you that deforestation of the Amazon Rainforest is amongst the world’s worst environmental disasters.
Since our beginning as a human, people are used to cut down trees to make way for agriculture or commercial production, Deforestation can lead us to many serious problems like overpopulation, and this will result to the complete loss of the tropical rainforest. Experts believe that the rainforest could disappear in a matter of forty years. Also, approximately half of the world’s animal and plant life will become extinct or severely endangered in the next 25 years
Some Interesting facts:-
1. The Amazon delivers 55 million gallons of water into the Atlantic ocean every second.
2. If Amazonia were a country, it would be the 9th largest in the world
3. More than 80% of the world’s food has its origins in the Amazon rainforest
4. The Amazon rainforest can be found in 9 South American countries; Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and the three Guyanas.
5. The rainforest floor is very dark, with less than 1% of the light making it through the canopy of the trees.
6. Around 30% of our carbon emissions come from burning the Amazon rainforest.